Proper washing of fruits and vegetables is necessary as a lot of people fall sick yearly due to food related problems.
It’s required you wash all produce in cold and running water. There are certain fruits and vegetables that still require special attention when washing them.
Below are 6 tips you need for washing fruits and vegetables
1. Ensure you wear gloves when washing hot peppers because their natural oils can burn your skin and eyes.
2. When washing leafy greens, ensure you soak them first in cold water for about 2 minutes. Rinse with cold, running water after soaking for 2 minutes as this ensures all germs and trapped dirt are gotten rid of.
3. Always ensure you wash the skin of an avocado before consumption as it could habour bacteria that can also spread to the knife you use in slicing it. Scrub and rinse the skin properly.
4. Before eating apples, always ensure you trim the ends of the apple after washing and brushing under cold water as dirt and bacteria could be trapped there.
5. When washing melon, ensure you wash and scrub thoroughly and pay attention to the melon’s rinds as bacteria could be trapped there.
6. Cauliflower and broccoli have lots of crevices where germs can hide so it’s really important you wash them properly. Soak in cold water for 2 minutes before washing in cold, running water.