Self-esteem is a powerful human need and without a good dose of it, we become vulnerable to all sorts of problems.
Just as self-confidence can enable your marriage thrive, low self-esteem can destroy your marriage.
Below are 9 ways low self-esteem can destroy your marriage
1. When you have low self-esteem, you will be unable to ask for what you want in your marriage and set limits on what you don’t want.
2. Low self-esteem often prevents people from being open and vulnerable in their marriages and these are two things a marriage thrives on.
3. Low self-esteem results in misunderstandings in marriage due to inability to express what you need.
4. When you have low self-esteem, you feel you have to prove yourself worthy of your partner’s love and this can destroy a marriage.
5. When you have low self-esteem, you feel that you fall short of your own expectations and that of your spouse and this can destroy your marriage.
6. When you have low self-esteem, you don’t see yourself as attractive. No one would see you as attractive if you don’t first see yourself as one.
7. When you have low self-esteem, there would be no self-respect. When you lack self-respect, you won’t treat your spouse with respect as well.
8. When you have low self-esteem, you’ll be too anxious to please and you’ll hide your own thoughts and feelings to avoid disagreements. This means your partner won’t get to know who you really are and this could destroy your marriage.
9. When you have low self-esteem, you don’t see yourself as competent in bed with your partner and this could also destroy your marriage.
If you have a partner with low self-esteem issues, you can help them overcome it by trying to be understanding and not seeing your partner as being cruel or insensitive.