The body consists of about 60% water, but most of it is lost daily through urine, stool, and sweat…hence we are required to drink a good amount of water daily in order to keep the body replenished and hydrated.
But apart from keeping the body hydrated, water also performs some other functions when we take them the right way, and in the right quantity. This post is meant to show you 5 good reasons why you should drink water often. Now, let’s cut right to the chase.
1. Water helps energize and keep the muscle cells healthy. Our muscle cells need a good quantity of water for them to perform at optimal level. When there’s little water in the body, the cells have little to draw from, and cannot work well, which could result in fatigue and burnout. But with the body always hydrated, there’ll be limited chances for that. People who exercise often can testify to this fact. After you workout for a while, you sense fatigue setting in because a lot of water has been lost through sweat, but as soon as you drink some water or liquid, you become re-energized again.
2. Water helps to keep the body toxin-free. The main organ charged with this function is the kidney, but the kidney cannot do it well without the right amount of fluid in the body. The main toxin in the body is blood urea nitrogen, a water-soluble waste that is able to pass through the kidneys to be excreted in the urine. Without adequate water in the body, urine will not flow freely, and may have an odour, but when there’s enough water in the body, the kidney performs its duties without stress.
3. Water helps fight constipation. When you drink enough water, you keep things flowing in your gastrointestinal tract, and what that means is that you give your colon just as much water as it needs to stay hydrated, and allow you pass stool freely. In the absence of enough water, the colon draws water from your stool to stay hydrated, and the less water your stool has, the more difficult it is for you to pass it, resulting in constipation.
4. It keeps the skin healthy and wrinkle- free. The skin needs a lot of water to stay healthy and without wrinkles. When you do not give it enough water, dehydration may set in, and when that happens, wrinkles or fine lines begin to show.
5. Water aids digestion. Drinking a glass of water a few minutes before you eat breakfast or dinner can help hasten digestion.
So there you have it. 5 reasons to drink more water if you haven’t been doing so. It is recommended that we take at least 8 glasses of water each day. Good luck, guys!