The scariest thing about marriage is divorce; many marriages these days end in divorce, and it seems like people don’t know how to handle their marriage.
Having a happy home and a loving relationship with your spouse is the desire of every couple and is a major reason people get married in the first place. But why don’t marriages last?
Knowing these pieces of advice before getting married would help you steer your marriage far away from divorce.
1. UNDERSTAND HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR PARTNER
Know the right ways to communicate with your partner; this would foster good communication in your marriage. When communication is inherent in a marriage, it would help build understanding, and understanding is necessary if you don’t want your marriage to reach divorce.
2. DON’T LET EGO BE A PART OF YOUR MARRIAGE
It all starts with pride and ego. A marriage with these two cannot last in the long run. Pride and ego make it hard for partners to play their roles well, it would make you see yourself as perfect and see your partner as imperfect. Pride and ego would create a lot of negative characters in you that would ruin your marriage.
3. AVOID NAME CALLING
Calling your partner names or insulting your partner is never a good thing. Even during an argument or misunderstanding, try not to call your partner names. Things like these are hardly forgotten and can create enmity.
4. Learn to walk away sometimes and keep calm. Take some time to cool off during an argument that isn’t going too well. Knowing when to talk, how to talk, when to shut up and when to listen is very important.
5. Having a fight with your partner might not really be a cause for concern. What’s more important is what you do after. It’s what happens after the fight that matters most.
6. Communication would help you solve the problems that come along the way better.
7. LEARN NOT TO TAKE THINGS PERSONAL
You shouldn’t take things too personal if you want your marriage to last. When you take things too personal, you open up chance for bitterness, quarrels, fights and grudges and these things can easily ruin your marriage.
8. LEARN TO FORGIVE
If you can’t forgive then marriage isn’t for you. Forgiveness is an important aspect of marriage, and it doesn’t just end at forgiveness, you also ought to forget. In other words, when you forgive your partner, try not to count scores; after forgiving your partner, don’t keep reminding them of their wrongs — it’s as bad as not forgiving.
9. PROBLEMS DON’T JUST GO AWAY
Your marriage problems can’t just go away; there is no magic wand you can wave to take it way. Try to sort out your differences with your partner as it comes.
10. LEARN TO MEET A COUNSELLOR EARLY
This is one marriage tip many married couples take for granted. It’s very important you meet a counsellor on time when the problems are early. It could be too dangerous to meet a counsellor when the problems become almost ‘unfixable’. The reason many marriage counsellors can’t help a lot of couples is because they seek help at a stage where the damaged bridges are almost irreparable.
These ten tips should be known not only when you are married, but even before marriage. They would help steer your marriage away from divorce.