Who says being a woman isn’t fun? One of the fun things about being a woman is that we get to live longer than men (that sounds like music to my ears). It’s a known fact that on average, women live 5 years longer than men.
So why do women live longer than men?
1. While heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in both men and women, men develop heart disease earlier than women. Women on average, develop heart disease ten years later than men.
2. The body’s immune system weakens as we age. Women live longer than men partly because their immune systems age more slowly. This was proven by a Japanese study published in Immunity & Ageing Journal.
3. Men have higher testosterone levels which means they take more risk and are more aggressive, reducing their lifespan.
4. Having two X-chromosomes contributes to women living longer than men. This is according to Tom Perls, founder of the New England Centenarian Study at Boston University.
5. Women take better care of their health compared to men and this also helps them live longer than men. According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, men are 24% less likely than women to have visited a doctor within the past year.
6. Women have stronger social networks than men. According to a 2010 Brigham Young University study, people with social networks have a 50% lower chance of dying than those with few social ties.
Women are just so special. *winks*