Instagram is one of the most used social media apps, and it is fast becoming the best picture app out there. That means that brands and business are also looking to have more presence there. Like Facebook and Twitter, you can also make money off Instagram, but that depends on your fan Base. The bigger it is, the likelier you’re noticed, and the more important you seem to potential investors.
Apart from the business perspective to this, brands and businesses/public figures also want more followers in order to boost their relevance and presence on the platform.
Getting followers can be difficult if you don’t know how to go about it, but with a little help and the right information, it should be easier. Here are some of the ways you can increase your Instagram followers.
1. Use popular hashtags, such as #ff(follow friday), #instafollow, #l4l(like for like), #tagforlikes, #followback, #love, #instagood, #tbt and #photooftheday. Also search the hashtag, and follow accounts posting under them.
2. Hold a contest on instagram. One of the easiest ways to do this is to post an image promoting the content and then ask people to like it in order to participate.
3. Promote your instagram account on other social media platforms and profiles.
4. Like and comment on other users’ photos. This is the most natural and conventional way to gain new followers.
5. Add your bio and make sure it’s a complete one. Include relevant keywords and hashtags, and a backlink to your site (if available). Above all, don’t be spammy; this is a guarantee that no one who reads your profile will follow you.
6. Be consistent. Know why you’re posting and what you’re posting for; your follower count will grow organically.
7. Use calls to action on your captions. Get your followers engaged by asking them to take further actions (e.g. “let me know what you think in the comments”).
8. Follow your suggested users. Go to your settings and click the gear icon at the upper right of your screen. Click ‘find and invite friends’ and then ‘suggested users’.
9. Use geotagging, especially if you’re a local business. When you geotag your photos, others who post photos in your region will see your images on the location’s page. This is a great way to catch the attention of local users.
10. Really engage. All the tips, tricks and strategies in the world can’t compare with really engaging on the platform. Be intentional about liking photos and leaving thoughtful comments. Regularly find new people to follow, and engage with them by responding to comments and questions.
11. Tag people in your photos when relevant. This ensures these photos show up in those users’ feed, and makes it more likely they’ll share them.
12. Invite a guest post on your account. If you have connections with an influential instagrammer, consider asking him or her to guest post on your account. This is a surefire way to skyrocket your engagement; not to mention all the new followers you’ll receive.
13. Promote your instagram account to your email subscribers. Periodically share an image in your newsletter and link it up to your instagram account.
14. Tell a story. Use your image captions to tell an engaging story. Storytelling helps create an emotional connection to your brand and product; and including a captivating story is more effective.