Just because you kissed your partner this morning doesn’t mean you know much about kissing.
Below are 15 things you probably didn’t know about kissing
1. If you think only humans kiss, then you are probably wrong. Bonobos, a type of chimpanzee kiss often and passionately. Apes kiss too.
2. When you kiss deep and passionately, you use all 34 of your facial muscles compared to only 2 face muscles you use when it’s a quick kiss.
3. Ever wondered why the groom is always told that he may kiss the bride? Ancient Romans used kissing to seal a contract.
4. If you want to burn some calories, you should kiss more as kissing for a few seconds can burn up to five calories.
5. A bad kiss can end a relationship. This is according to a study by professor Gordon Gallup Jr which found that 59 percent of men and 66 percent of women have ended a budding relationship because of a bad kiss.
6. A passionate kiss gets you in the mood because it send sends blood through your body which makes it easier for you to get excited. This is according to Dr Ava Cadell.
7. If you want to be kissable, avoid smoking, body odour, dry lips, cold sores and bad teeth. This is according to a 2012 online poll by dating site MutualAttraction.co.uk
8. You can get mono and herpes through kissing.
9. Kissing is good for your health. Researchers at Arizona State University found that kissing reduces stress and lowers our levels of bad cholesterol.
10. The study of kissing is called philematology and people who practice it are called philematologists. The scientific name for kissing is osculation.
11. According to a study published in the Microbiome Journal, you exchange 80 million microbes whenever you kiss someone new.
12. According to the same study, the microbes exchanged during kissing helps boost your immune system.
13. Frequent kissing is a sign of a healthy and happy relationship. This is because kissing increases oxytocin, a hormone that helps us stay in love.
14. Couples that kiss regularly tend to live longer.
15. Two-thirds of people tilt their head to the right when they kiss.