Did you know that traditionally, bridesmaids would be dressed in similar bride-like gowns to confuse rival suitors, evil spirits, and robbers? If you are planning to marry a partner from an affair then you should know that over 75% of people who marry partners from an affair eventually divorce. If you want to know other facts about marriage, then you should continue reading.
Below are 10 facts about marriage you should know
1. Marrying younger than age 25 dramatically raises the divorce risk. Also, the divorce risk is higher when the woman is much older than the man, though the reverse isn’t as a strong factor.
2. A person’s level of education influences the age at which they marry. Couples tend to marry later in areas with higher numbers of college-educated adults, while the opposite is true for areas with lower education levels.
3. The average married couple has sex 58 times per year, or slightly more than once a week.
4. Researchers found a huge decline in happiness four years into a marriage with another decline in years seven to eight. In fact, half of all divorces occur in the first seven years of marriage, which gives rise to the popular term “the seven-year itch
5. A 15-year-long study found that a person’s happiness level before marriage was the best predictor of happiness after marriage. In other words, marriage won’t automatically make one happy.
6. A marriage ceremony typically ends with a kiss because in ancient Rome, a kiss was a legal bond that sealed contracts, and marriage was seen as a contract.
7. Women who report a fair division of housework were happier in their marriages than women who thought their husbands didn’t do their fair share. Wives also spent more quality time with their husbands when they thought the housework was divided fairly.
8. Wedding dresses weren’t always white. In fact, they were traditionally red, blue, purple or even black, with gold and silver stitching. It wasn’t until 1840, when Queen Victoria wed Prince Albert in a white bridal gown, that the “chaste” colour became the status quo.
9. Wedding and engagement rings have been worn on the fourth finger of the left hand since ancient times. The Romans believed a vein in this particular finger, called “vena amoris” (a.k.a. the “vein of love”), leads directly to the heart.
10. Men who kiss their wives in the morning are said to live five years longer than those who don’t.